POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cone Bouquet : Re: Cone Bouquet Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:09:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cone Bouquet
From: Shay
Date: 23 Feb 2004 10:39:34
Message: <403a1eb6@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

| You said you were going to do it, and you did it.

hmmm. This isn't the "technical" image I mentioned to Steve. That one
will be somewhat similar but actually shaded. The technical aspect will
be that it will take multiple render passes to acheive.

| I can see why the IRTC does not hold your interest creatively.

More the other way around, but it would have been impolite to put it
that way.lol I'm in good company in that respect looking at the poor
rating of images like your incredible 'oranges' entry. I went back and
looked at that image, and noticed that that your text file contained a
line from the song which inspired it. Doh! I wanted to assure you that
my original reaction to that image in irtc.stills was before reading (
and therefore unprejudiced by ) the text file.

| The result is lovely though.

Thank you. Although I started both this and the 'many cylinders' image
before having seen the program about him, my continued interest in this
area is very Vermeer inspired. That program gave me a welcome shove in a
direction towards which I was just starting to lean.

The technical part I described in my reply to Dave Matthews. It really
is just a matter of actual effort rather than any tricks like
intersecting cylinders. The whole thing renders in a few seconds. The
pattern is indeed spherical and cannot be flattened.

| It does make allusions to dimensionality doesn't it.  Like those
| flatland books.  Explanations of the fourth dimension that start
| by asking you to first imagine only two dimensions.

Something very bizarre about the fact that a 2D image is somehow *more*
flat when the text file creating it has all the same Zs. I'm going to
create a denser image of the same type and when done have the shape cut
from thin metal and framed with room for a shadow behind it. I'm
fortunate enought to have a laser etcher at my disposal.

 -Shay