POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : New I/O Particle System WIP (MPG1, 482kb) : Re: New I/O Particle System WIP (MPG1, 482kb) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New I/O Particle System WIP (MPG1, 482kb)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 22 Feb 2004 16:00:03
Message: <40391853@news.povray.org>
> Fantastic!!!

Ehm, thanks. Notice though that many features haven't been implemented yet
and thus parsing time hasn't reached it's normal "status quo" when working
with the system.

For example, right now, particles interact with a different environment than
the one you see. This is due to particles being only points, not actual
spheres; otherwise, the particle's center would bounce off of objects, not
the particle itself.

To avoid this, I want to make two methods available: either using the
approach as described above (objects are larger than what you see) or by
supplying the system with a set of nodes and a center that will be applied
to a particle. It will do trace-calls away from the center, through the
nodes, and check for interaction. That'll still be a crude method and is
mainly just a better approach for spherical particles, as the System doesn't
(and probably won't) handle rotational-physics. But it'll make
Environment-Building MUCH easier.

Regards,
Tim

--