POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sci-fi objects demo image (190 kb) : Re: Sci-fi objects demo image (190 kb) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sci-fi objects demo image (190 kb)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Feb 2004 17:43:15
Message: <40329903@news.povray.org>

news:403256d8$1@news.povray.org...
> another question:
> why you use "assumed_gamma = 1;" when you actually use a value of 2.2 or
so?

I'm working on a laptop and I found after much trouble that the only
combination of display_gamma/assumed_gamma that worked on it was 1/1 (i.e.
the images created on the laptop aren't too dark on the CRTs I also use). It
also seems easier to tweak the lighting with these settings.
To be honest, after reading the docs over and over and reading many
discussions in these groups, I'm still unable to understand what are the
"right" gamma settings for a given computer, and the fact that the gamma
test doesn't seem to work on flat screens adds to my confusion :(

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com