POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : City SSC WIP 2 : Re: City SSC WIP 2 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: City SSC WIP 2
From: Tek
Date: 16 Feb 2004 23:16:21
Message: <40319595$1@news.povray.org>
"Roberto A." <wol### [at] hot-mailcom> wrote in message
> I don't want to sound picky, but there are some "jaggies" here and there...
> is that because of lack of isosurface anti-aliasing?

Yeah, it's kind of an aliasing issue...

Basically there's 3 settings that control the appearance of an isosurface
definition: contained_by{}, max_gradient, and accuracy.

Obviously in my 256 bytes of source I don't have room for any of these, so I use
pov's defaults then work round the problems:
- the default contained_by shape is the unit sphere, so I scale my function down
to fit that (that's why the function has x*9,y*9,z*9)
- the default max_gradient is 1, so I adjust the range of values my function
will produce to fit that (by dividing the whole function by 99)
- the default accuracy is 0.001, i.e. 1/1000th the size of the default container
shape. There is nothing I can do to fake this, hence you get those artefacts.

I still have 1 byte spare, so if you can think of a way to adjust the "accuracy"
setting using just 1 byte I'd be most appreciative ;)

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com