POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Color Cube : Re: Color Cube Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color Cube
From: Dan P
Date: 13 Feb 2004 14:27:45
Message: <402d2531$1@news.povray.org>
"Florian Brucker" <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote in message
> > rendered with 8x8x8 cubes (well, superellipsoids actually, which makes
> > it hard to know exactly where in the y axis to place the object to get
> > it to stand on its end - I rendered this one with the same translation
> > as the 3x3x3 version so the white superellipsoid sticks through the
floor):

> You may want to use the macro Round_Box_Union() (Or Round_Box_Merge)
> from shapes.inc. It'll look (almost) the same, and you'll always know
> exactly how large the shape is.

In your case, you'll want to use Round_Box_Union. The difference between
Union and Merge is:

Union: Will group the objects together but each object will still retain its
surface.
Merge: Will "melt" the objects together and remove surfaces.

Think of "union" as a grouping tool and "merging" as a melting tool. If all
of your objects are opaque, as they are in your case, you can use "union"
because you won't see the surfaces of the cylinder, spheres, and boxes that
make up the cube. However, if your cube was made of glass, you would see the
cylinder, spheres, and boxes that make up the cube unless you chose to melt
them together using "merge".

Note that, as you probably guessed, merge takes longer to render because of
the extra work it has to do. So, use union whenever you can get away with
it.