POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave : Re: WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 13 Feb 2004 10:17:29
Message: <402cea89$1@news.povray.org>
> Oh, I misunderstood :-) Hey, a way to get some water coming down the
tunnel
> might be to take a solid box water-like and have it at a slight angle
> underneath the tunnel, just high enough to peek through the floor. Then,
by
> sliding it down, it will appear like water is filling in the cracks. Also,
> by making the box a height-field and animating the waves, you can get the
> rippling effect, and even have it slide up the sides back-and-forth as it
> comes down.

That "rising box" kinda thing is often done in PC games, and lacks some sort
of real physical interaction with the environment it is "flooding". I'll get
to that later, first, another quote:

> It might be possible to create a tunnel with an isosurface
> and average a pattern in it. I'm gonna try that this weekend sometime when
> need a break from writing my research paper. I've already created
cylinders
> and stuff with isosurfaces (real easy, but hard to visualize, imho) and I
> might be able to pull it off. Then, you'd get pretty much infinite
> resolution on the tunnel.

The problem with the isosurfaces is that I can't outsource those for
heavy-duty calculations to a different programming language. An option I
wanted to keep open was to have POV-Ray spit some initial data, and then do
processing intensive calculations with Java. Isosurfaces can't be used
outside of POV-Ray. Another main reason for me not use isosurfaces is
because I don't have too much experience with them, and I doubt that I would
be able to do the same kind of displacement to the walls like I do now, at
least not that easily.

That aside, the approach for the effects I'm thinking about will probably
work best with a mesh (since it may be outsourced as well)...

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"