POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave : Re: WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 13 Feb 2004 07:39:05
Message: <402cc569$1@news.povray.org>
> Good start! I like both the model's level of roughness (not looking to
> smooth, that is) and the textures. The comic look also suits what I've
> seen of your worm, yet, fine.

Thanks! I am still undecided if the way the tunnel looks now is near-final
and will undergo some tweaking just for the animation, but remain like that
for the most part, but it seems I don't have to change that much so far.

> For the detail objects I'd go for roots and stones (as you mentioned),
> perhaps some really tiny bones (although that's a real cliche), and if
> you don't care that much about realism things like spiderwebs (don't
> think real spiders build that small webs), supporting bars made from
> wood (like the ones in goldmines, would be fine if you want to go for a
> real comic like movie), and perhaps some things which everyone of us
> lost out in nature (like coins. although I suggest using only very small
> amounts of them, like not more than one coin at all *g*)...

One coin is a great idea, don't know for sure about those spiderwebs. The
worm isn't that lazy and will have a proper, nice home (with kitchen and all
:-) so cleaning the entrance area might be one of his daily jobs. That'd
apply to the bones as well. As for those supporting beams: nah, that would
look too much like a mine, especially the size the beams would have to be
(texturing etc) to fit the size of a worm would make it complicated to get
an appropriate amout of realism. I think I'll go for one or two coins.

> About the water: I'd give Rune's particle system a try. It is really
> easy to set up and can give great results (depends on how much control
> you need over the particles). Or just use your own one if is built for
> such situations. You may also look at your LSSM macros for creating some
> puddles with raindrops falling in :)

Well, the LSSM will definitely be used once I get to the scenes where is
apartment is flooded and he's trying to get out. My own particle system
doesn't have the amount of object interaction I'd need (actually, it has
none :-). But since I need lots of control on the particles, I won't use
Rune's either. What I wanted to do is script a little mass-particle system
with real low overhead, no special features, just something which will spit
out hundreds of particles and keep them inside the tube.

> I'm really looking forward to see some animations.

Me too. I hope I get it to a level of realism sufficient for a
cartoony-shortmovie, but also looking kinda real.

Thanks for the comment,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"