POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave : Re: WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 13 Feb 2004 07:17:20
Message: <402cc050$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Daniel!

> Dude, you ARE a POV-Ray ninja! Sweet job on the tunnel! How did you do
that
> water? Is that a cylinder with interior media intersecting with an
> isosurface? The code you created would be quite a learning experience for
us
> if you're willing to post it :-)

Ehm, actually, there is no water in the scene yet, this is just the tunnel.
As mentioned in my original post, the blue patch in the rear is blue light
coming from the outside. Otherwise, the rear end would have been in shadow.
Since the scene is meant to take place during nighttime, the light from
outside is more blue than white.

> To give it a really interesting feel, I'd put a light source where your
> camera is. A dim one, maybe just very slightly magenta (like, 0.3, 0.29,
> 0.3) would really give it depth. Plus, a lot of specular highlighting on
the
> water and just a slight bit of specular highlighting on the walls would
also
> add depth.

There is a lightsource just above the camera which lights the front part of
the tunnel. As mentioned above, no water in the scene to add specular
highlights to.As for specular highlights for the walls: their rough and raw
earth, not polished, but I'll see what I can do.

> The texture on the walls is just AWESOME. Maybe if you average a pigment
> with a thin vein of gold from a wrinkles pattern would give it even more
> interest. Man, how did you do that tunnel?? Is that an isosurface averaged
> with a bozo/wrinkles pattern? This image has me scratching my head!

Regarding the texture: Its actually a mixture of two textures, one for the
lighter earth (the path the worms tends to walk along) and one for the rough
earth. The rough earth is a granite pattern, the lighter one a crackle
pattern. Both textures are uv-mapped with a turbulented gradient x to map
the smoother part to the floor.

The tunnel itself is a mesh, creating by extruding a circle along a
Bezier-Spline implementation of mine, and then turbulence the positions in
relation to their surface normal: Ceiling gets turbulated more than the
floor. To turbulate the positions, I simply use vturbulence and use the
original position as basis for where to sample the turbulence vector.

> Sorry, I babble a lot when I'm excited. Great job!!!! I can't wait to see
> the animation!!!!!

Oh, the animation will still take quiet some time, but thanks for the
praise.

Regards,
Tim

--