POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave : Re: WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:09:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - Entrance tunnel to Worm's Cave
From: Dan P
Date: 12 Feb 2004 21:13:44
Message: <402c32d8$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim.nikias (@) nolights.de> wrote in message
news:402c2d5f@news.povray.org...
> As mentioned already on some other places, I've returned to my Short-Movie
> project and have begun constructing one of the sets that'll be in the
first
> episode (I've split the short into episodes since these supply useful
> milestones for the project).
>
> This is the entrance-tunnel that leads to the Worm's housing. The blue
patch
> is actually blue light coming from the outside. I'm still wondering if the
> slope of the tunnel might be a little to high, but I'll adress that as the
> scene moves along and comes together with the final special effects that
> take place in this set.
>
> Some stones and thin roots will be added here and there, which will also
> provide some "fodder" for the water-masses that will come spluttering down
> this tunnel, forcing the worm to use his panic-exit to surface. (The
actual
> reason for worms to surface during a rainfall is because they would
> otherwise drown down there). I'm still pondering how much active
simulation
> and how much hand-coded animation will be used to model the flooding, but
> once I get to experimenting, I'll see what works best and what provides
the
> most comfort in creating an animation I'd be happy with.
>
> I know, the scene is sparse so far, but suggestions and comments on
> texturing, the "roughness" of the walls or what kind of objects I might
> scatter around would still be appreciated. As mentioned above, I'll put
some
> roots and stones in there, but maybe there's something else I should
add...

Dude, you ARE a POV-Ray ninja! Sweet job on the tunnel! How did you do that
water? Is that a cylinder with interior media intersecting with an
isosurface? The code you created would be quite a learning experience for us
if you're willing to post it :-)

To give it a really interesting feel, I'd put a light source where your
camera is. A dim one, maybe just very slightly magenta (like, 0.3, 0.29,
0.3) would really give it depth. Plus, a lot of specular highlighting on the
water and just a slight bit of specular highlighting on the walls would also
add depth.

The texture on the walls is just AWESOME. Maybe if you average a pigment
with a thin vein of gold from a wrinkles pattern would give it even more
interest. Man, how did you do that tunnel?? Is that an isosurface averaged
with a bozo/wrinkles pattern? This image has me scratching my head!

Sorry, I babble a lot when I'm excited. Great job!!!! I can't wait to see
the animation!!!!!