POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Armillary sphere : Re: Armillary sphere Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Armillary sphere
From: Dan P
Date: 12 Feb 2004 14:47:39
Message: <402bd85b$1@news.povray.org>
"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "Vincent LE CHEVALIER" <lec### [at] ctiecpfr> wrote in message
> > Hello !
> > This is my first post here...
>
> Always good to see new people posting. Welcome to the POV newsgroups.
>
> > I still have to work on the textures, for example draw scales on the
> > rings. But I wanted to fix the overall look first.

Very neat! Another trick is to add a texture to the rings so that you get
some variance in the surface. Real objects aren't perfect and the eye can
see them right away. For example,

pigment
{
   wrinkles
   color_map
  {
    [0 rgb <1, 1, 0.8> ]
    [1 rgb <0.8, 0.8, 0 .6> ]
  }
}

Or something like that -- really subtle, yet it makes it more realistic.
(Wrinkles is a personal favorite -- salt to taste).