POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Armillary sphere : Re: Armillary sphere Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Armillary sphere
From: Hughes, B
Date: 12 Feb 2004 13:50:55
Message: <402bcb0f@news.povray.org>
"Vincent LE CHEVALIER" <lec### [at] ctiecpfr> wrote in message
> Hello !
> This is my first post here...

Always good to see new people posting. Welcome to the POV newsgroups.

> I still have to work on the textures, for example draw scales on the
> rings. But I wanted to fix the overall look first.

While you are at it, you might want to try lowering the 'diffuse' of the
texture, something like diffuse 0.1; possibly ambient down to zero too. Are
you using variable reflection? The armillary could be much more reflective
than is now, it has more of a painted gold appearance instead of a smooth
shiny metal like I'd expect to see. Using 'metallic' reflection colors too,
if not already. I'm guessing this has metallic properties such as
'brilliance' already but difficult to know without actually reading the
texture script itself.

Suggestion for the stand: you could try 'blob' for the beaded rings (unless
it already is and I'm not seeing it as such). That way it would flow
together. In fact, the base could be done using a blob with negative
components to create the indentations. Although I like the scalloping as-is.

Bob H.