POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Stuck for ideas : Re: Stuck for ideas Server Time
7 May 2024 22:35:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stuck for ideas
From: Jim Charter
Date: 7 Feb 2004 21:54:59
Message: <4025a503$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:

> I think I have to disagree with you there. Some of my favourite sci-fi which I'd
> consider classic which doesn't have wobbly sets and unconvincing effects. Most
> notably 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Hmmm I guess you got me there.  The effects don't have to be wobbly just
dated to be a bit unconvincing. I find the final sesquence a bit that
way.  Nevertheless "2001" has remarkable staying power.  Wouldn't expect
anything less from Kubrick.  Did I mention he's my all time top movie man?

> Which again confounds any attempt I make to put my ideas into the category of
> "classic" sci fi

I still think the use of sets, costumes, and effects is distinctive
within the genre.  Certain plots and themes also recur.