POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : it's a question of copyright ... : Re: it's a question of copyright ... Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: it's a question of copyright ...
Date: 6 Feb 2004 06:22:32
Message: <402378f8@news.povray.org>
"John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > If for example I wished to copy the intro-sequence to a well known
> > Sci-Fi series from the 70's (I prefer at the moment to keep my chosen
> > topic secret but for the sake of argument assume "Star Trek" - the
> > arguments and copyright issues should be the same as my real topic). In
> > copying the sequence I will be modelling the ships, craft and vehicles
> > as accurately as I can manage in POV. While my intro-sequence will be
> > different to the original (I'm not that good with POV), it must remain
> > visually close enough to be obvious what it is. Am I permitted to do
> > this? n.b. I assume the title of the series must be changed as this is
> > no doubt trade marked.
>
> The Trek material is not in the public domain.  If your work is set in
> Star Trek's fictional setting, you need Paramount's permission or you
> are technically in violation.

sorry about that, but I don't get it.
If I would do an animation that looks almost the same as a sequence from any
movie.
But, I do everything (the modelling, objects, scene, FX just everything from
scratch again on my own).
-- To much work, but just as a question --
In that case, I would have to ask the guys who made the movie for
permission???

Patrick