POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : enum { SOMETHING = 'Thing' } ? : Re: enum { SOMETHING = 'Thing' } ? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:59:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: enum { SOMETHING = 'Thing' } ?
From: AngleWyrm
Date: 5 Feb 2004 06:12:35
Message: <40222523@news.povray.org>
"ABX" <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:21:28 -0800, "AngleWyrm"
<no_### [at] hotmailcom>
> wrote:
> > Is this numerical encoding used as an error catching mechanism during
code
> > construction? I haven't been able to find further references to 'Ctrl'
> > outside the enum declaration.
>
> Are you looking references to 'Ctrl' or to kPOVMsgClass_RenderControl?

'Ctrl'

If the enums were given specific values, it was my guess that at some point
in the program a comparison to, or usage of those specific values would take
place. Makes sense?

Thus I surmized that there must be more than one occurance of the term 'Ctl'
within the source files, so I went looking for this. I only found the one
occurance, and this got me wondering if it was an exception to a norm. Hey
maybe the rest of them or even just some of them are used in some
comparison.

So I did a grep search on '\(....\)' to find all single quoted four-letter
blocks. The only code (besides comments) that came back were the
enumerations themselves. (www.textpad.com, nice notepad replacement)

Thus far, it seems that my guess may be in error; perhaps those values
aren't used anywhere else?