POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : TV on the moon (WIP) : Re: TV on the moon (WIP) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:31:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TV on the moon (WIP)
From: Dan P
Date: 4 Feb 2004 21:37:29
Message: <4021ac69$1@news.povray.org>
"Skip Talbot" <sta### [at] uiucedu> wrote in message
> Not bad, definately has some humor going for it.  As for improvement
> suggestions: the moon and especially the Earth, are too dark.  Perhaps a
few
> more stars and details on the TV?

I laughed out loud when I saw this -- very cute. A few suggestions:

* Try using the "smooth" option on your height_field.
* If you're really ambitious, try an isosurface to create your terrain.
* Increase the ambience (finish { ambient 0.4} maybe) on Earth.
* A really neat effect is to use a density_map to create an atmosphere on
the earth and make it glow.
* Add a bump_map and image_map to give the knob and speaker a more realistic
work. The geometry doesn't have to be any more complex -- you can do a lot
with just textures. If you don't have Photoshop, GIMP is a fine tool -- and
free -- from www.gnu.org.
* Get Poser 5.0 from Curious Labs (www.curiouslabs.com) for around $250 to
create a really realistic looking alien patch and pose him just right. Some
people consider this cheating, however :-) What you did there was far more
difficult than just importing a converted Poser model.
* Add another shadowless light in a different location (I'm really partial
to indigo, rgb <0.3, 0.4, 0.5> ish) to add depth to the scene.
* Maybe add some water in the crater and have him taking a bath with bubbles
and stuff :-)
* Add pigment { wrinkles scale <0.2, 0.2, 0.2> } or the like to your
height_field to give it some quick texture.

You've got a great sense of humor! I can't wait to see more!!!