POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : (32kb) WIP with artifact question - box.png (1/1) : Re: (32kb) WIP with artifact question - box.png (1/1) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:38:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (32kb) WIP with artifact question - box.png (1/1)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 4 Feb 2004 15:43:31
Message: <40215973@news.povray.org>
Matthew Pace wrote:
> I have decided to do a series of glowing boxes, I dont know if I stole
> this from anyone, if so, please let me know, and I apologize.  Here is a
> partial rendering of the first one, with radiosity off (looks better
> with it on, duh) and some artifacts that I believe are from AA.  If you
> can tell me how to fix that, I would be quite thankful.  Its currently
> AA adaptive .4 threshold, level 5 recursion, and .1 jitter.  I have a
> lot going one because it was highly aliased, espescially at large
> resolutions.  You can notice it at the edge facing the camera, the line
> between dark and light is not straigt.

You seem to have a poor understanding of the AA parameters, maybe I can
help...

The threshold defines how much difference there has to be between two
pixels before POV-Ray will attempt to antialias them, treating each
pixel as having RGBvalues between 0 and 1; this value can range from 0
(AA everything except areas of no changes whatsoever) to 3 (only AA
divisions between pure white and pure black - in effect, nothing). A
good value to use for this while testing (if for some reason you're
testing with AA on) is .2 or .3, which is enough to get the effect of AA
but not enough to guarantee smoothness. For final renders, consider
using .1 or less.

The recursion defines how closely POV-Ray looks for edges; the higher
the recursion, the more supersamples it takes in order to define edges
and/or small details. In actual practice, a value of 2 is plenty for
test work, and anything above 4 is likely to be a waste; if you're not
getting enough detail at 4, you're probably better off rendering at a
higher resolution.

Jitter jitters the supersamples, essentially adding a small amount of
noise to antialiased areas, and should probably be avoided as a general
rule (IMO). In your case, I would say that jitter is responsible for the
"artifacts" you describe. Try setting it to 0.

You might also consider moving the camera or objects slightly so that
the division between the front faces falls along natural pixel
boundaries, if having the antialiased edge there REALLY bothers you.

-Xplo