POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Water on Mars (78kb) : Re: Water on Mars (78kb) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Water on Mars (78kb)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 4 Feb 2004 02:24:54
Message: <40209EC9.C6D32AB0@gmx.de>
High!

Wolfgang Wieser schrieb:

  I'm not sure if an ocean on Mars would be so blue; at least
  there is no blue sky which could be reflected.

I don't think so... as long Mars was able to maintain liquid water on its surface, the
atmosphere must have been much denser
then today, and so the sky also was coloured up to the zenith, unlike nowadays. And
even
today sometimes, depending on
weather and dust saturation of the air, the reddish/yellowish horizon seam turns
bluish -
so also the early Martian oceans
would probably have been deep blue like Earth's oceans as seen from orbit

  BTW, there is now an updated version on my homepage. I removed
  some spurious water in the background by re-adjusting the level.
  Especially have a look at the crater right back!

Did you use 8 or 16bit resolution for the heightfield? I assume that you used
Christoph's
IC_HF_Sphere function to wrap it
around the sphere... perhaps in the future, we might be able to reduce rendering time
by
just rendering those portions (tiles)
of the heightfield which would be actually visible in the image; currently, I try to
modify IC_HF_Sphere to render only
sections of a spherical heightfield...

See you in Khyberspace - http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/khyberspace/index-e.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/index-e.htm
Home-made electronic music: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/music/

Yadgar ((:->

Now playing: Upstairs in my House (Men at Work)

--
Pashto 2.0, a protocol language for the Advanced Fractal Geometric Heightfield and
Navigation Implementation-Sensitive