POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Local scene : Re: WIP Local scene Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:31:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Local scene
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 2 Feb 2004 19:15:03
Message: <401ee807@news.povray.org>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:
> Hi Tor
>
> Yes those are the rocks. I'm suprised how green your photos are. The rock is
> very red/brown and though Ranshaw does have a lot of green lichen, I never
> thought is was quite so overpowering.

You are probably right about this.

I think that I have a problem with my scanning software.

First: These photos were shot on Fuji Velvia slides film,
which gives quite saturated colors.

Second: I do not have a color-calibrated monitor.
(It's a Fujitsu x191, which came with a color profile.
But when I use this color profile, the colors seems
bad in all programs. I'm not able find out if it is
Windows itself or the image editor programs that are
supposed to read this color profile and apply
corrections according to it.)

Third: I don't think that have an image editor program
that are able to read the embedded color profile for my
scanner that the Nikon scanning software embeds into the
TIF-file. (I'm using Photoshop LE)

Fourth: When viewing the photos in Internet Explorer, the
colors looks different than in PS LE.

So I find this color problem quite difficult to solve.

I should probably buy a full version of Photoshop (that's
expensive !) or wait for the Gimp v2 for Linux.

And I would also need to buy monitor calibration tools
(hardware). - That's expensive too !

If I could afford to go all the way, I would buy some
Kodak reference slides and software to build a color
profile for my specific scanner.

(But then; if people just used Internet Explorer to watch
my images, I wouldn't have come much further.)

In order to try to get a more correct result I have done
a little experiment:

I set my scanner to use a special scanning mode;
ROC (Reconstruction Of Color), which is meant for old
and/or damaged films (e.g. with strong color tints).

If the colors on a film is ok, then this mode usually
gives odd colors. (But sometimes it "fixes" colors in a
wonderful way.)

The result can be seen in the file Image2_ROC.jpg
When I compare this to the slide (lying on a good light
table), the colors look too bleak and too brownish.

When I now study the Image2.jpg image, that I uploaded
first, I see that it has too high contrast and that it
is a bit more green than the slide.

As a last attempt to get more correct colors I tried
to blend together two images of the same slide. (One
with ROC on and another with ROC off.)

The result in the file Image2_mix.jpg is my best shot
so far at getting colors that are close to those in
the slide.

Now Mick: How does this image compare to your memory
of the rocks ?

Tor Olav