POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : File load failure : Re: File load failure Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: File load failure
From: AngleWyrm
Date: 30 Jan 2004 12:50:15
Message: <401a9957$1@news.povray.org>
"ingo" <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
> in news:4017b173$1@news.povray.org AngleWyrm wrote:
> > or is it my data

> Make shure that there are no commas missing in your data.
>
> BTW, the povray-programming group is for discussing the sourcecode of POV-
> Ray, not for scene code. povray.general would have been the appropriate
> group to post this question.

Please re-examine that assessment:

As it turns out the problem was what could be construed as *between* the
code and the data. The tool I have for creating Comma Separated text files
(Microsoft Excel) does not append a comma to the end of each line.

I submit that the pov-ray definition of comma-separated files, wherein there
is a comma between every value irrespective of line breaks, is possibly one
or two lines easier to code. However it breaks tradition with data tools in
the marketplace, and causes data to be pre-processed before being suitable
for pov-ray consumption.

The end result is wasted labor on the part of the user, spent reformatting
data. This time could be freed up to persue the projects at hand, an
improvement in the quality of life.

So I would like to recommend a minor improvement to the Pov-Ray code: That
the end-of-line character be recognized as a valid data separator.