POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My second TRON subject... : Re: My second TRON subject... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My second TRON subject...
From: Jellby
Date: 30 Jan 2004 10:39:17
Message: <401a7aa4@news.povray.org>
Among other things, Carl Hoff wrote:

> Ideally what I'd want to do I think is put a bounding box around the
> cylinder that is atleast several pixels wide (at whatever the final
> resolution is) and have a way to tell POV-Ray that any pixel that has a
> ray
> that passes through that bounding box needs to use a given type of AA.
> I'm
> rather sure that isn't doable in atleast the current version.  It might be
> a nice thing to suggest to the powers that be though as something to
> consider
> adding.  As I've only been ray tracing a few months I really don't know if
> that's a good suggestion or not to be honest.

This would be object-specific antialiasing. It has been discussed some days
ago, it's not even trivial to define it, what should happen with
reflections, refractions, semi-transparent surfaces...? But, somehow, I
guess assigning the specifici antialiasing settings to simpler "bounding
objects" would make it a bit easier (the problem with fine grids could be
"solved")

> I only have one infinite plane, which is the grid, and I don't have it
> making any intersections with anything be it another plane or a finite
> object.  However unless I'm missing something isn't the intersection
> between
> two infinite planes always an infinite line.  And I don't think trying to
> render that line would work.  You'd have to give it some width for it to
> show up at all I think.

Remember a POV-plane is not infinitely thin, but infinitely thick, it
divides the whole space in two regions: outside and inside. Two
intersecting planes divide the whole space in four regions (inside both of
them, outside both, inside only one and inside the other; the first would
be the "intersection"), these are still infinite, but they're not
infinitely thin, they have two faces: the surfaces of the planes. An
intersection of four planes could (if they're are properly arranged) define
a tetrahedron, this would be a finite shape made from infinite planes, and
it certainly has some volume.

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x