POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Map of the Universe : Re: Map of the Universe Server Time
19 Jul 2024 01:04:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Map of the Universe
From: Tim Cook
Date: 28 Jan 2004 13:54:52
Message: <4018057c@news.povray.org>
AngleWyrm wrote:
> I took redshift data compiled at Harvard University
> (http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~huchra/zcat/zbig.dat), and used it to calculate
> a map of the universe...well, 5,000 stars at least :)

Oooh, I can fairly easily convert that data into a csv
to read with POV...the stars.inc I have now is just their
RA/decl position and magnitude, no distance, and it uses
POV rotational notation instead of RA/decl, so I can't
even figure out which stars are which just looking at it
(some day I'll write a macro to read the data and spit
back out RA/decl so I can add star names as a comment,
maybe)