POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Map of the Universe : Re: Map of the Universe Server Time
19 Jul 2024 01:03:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Map of the Universe
From: AngleWyrm
Date: 28 Jan 2004 04:05:25
Message: <40177b55$1@news.povray.org>
"ABX" <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:12:13 -0800, "AngleWyrm"
> <no_### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > If you don't have the free XVID codec
>
> If? I can trust to the POV-Team and install beta of it's product because I
> know quality of POV-Ray, participate development myself and POV-Ray is not
> vital for existence of my OS. But I hope it is understable that I do not
trust
> XVID which has unknown development, influences display capabilities of my
OS
> and exists in first RC form waiting for final release.

I like XVID better than DIVX; both provide excellent compression ratios, but
DIVX is corporate spyware, sponsored by Gaitor Advertizing Information
Network (GAIN).  XVID is opensource, so you can always see what they are
doing to it.

I understand there is a certain risk associated with products that claim to
be beta rather than final release; but wasn't POV-Ray v3.1 listed as beta
software? And it's been around since 1990, a good product that is
continually going through bug fixes, upgrades, and feature improvements.