POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tree-style signs - 1 attachment : Re: Tree-style signs - 1 attachment Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tree-style signs - 1 attachment
From: andrel
Date: 27 Jan 2004 11:08:04
Message: <40168C9B.6050301@hotmail.com>
> Yes, this is an problem with current leafs "implementation", thay are made
> as height-fiels, looking from front leaf is :

I understand that, and that was one of the reasons why I proposed to
use triangulations. Another was that it might be faster as I use
only a few hundred triangles to get a reasonably accurate shape.
By the way I am now working on a butterfly with control over the
angle of the wings. Another thing I can not do with hightfields
because the wings would expand with increasing angle.
(If you mail me the image of a leaf I can convert it for you
and you can compare the results. If you are reading the news:
on a system that hides my e-mail adress, it is a_linnenbank
in the hotmail domain which I only use for junk but will read
it more frequently in the coming days).

>>None of the leaves have stalks. I assume that is a result of the way
>>you generate them.
>

> Stalks means "talis" ? Yes, I will probably do them separetly as i.e.
> cylinder (or sphere sweep/spline)

What language is 'talis'? And yes, from your answer I infer that
that is what I meant. Cylinders are not realistic enough and
sphere sweeps are, in my experience, slow. I would say: go for
bicubic patches.

	Andrel