POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My second TRON subject... : Re: My second TRON subject... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My second TRON subject...
From: Andrew Coppin v2
Date: 26 Jan 2004 15:49:37
Message: <40157d61@news.povray.org>
> > (Does look like it could use more AA in places, but
> > maybe it's just a difficult image to pull off.)
>
> Well here is what I used...
>
> [800x600, AA 0]
> Width=800
> Height=600
> Antialias=On
> Sampling_Method=2
> Antialias_Depth=2
> Antialias_Threshold=0.0
>
> And it took about a week to render on my 1.5 GHz P4.  I agree it looks
like
> it needs more AA but I didn't want to wait forever either.

Wow... yeah, well, in that case I can't say I blame you! Wonder why it took
so long... (I'll go think about that.)

> > Oh yeah, and in a moment or
> > two I imagine someone will ask you why it's not JPEG ;-)
>
> Well I did download a program called ImageForge so I could save the
> 1,440,054 byte BMP image as a 337,634 byte PNG image.  I was trying to
avoid
> the artifacts created by going to JPEG.  If I broke any posting guideline
> you have my apologies.  Is JPEG the prefered posting format here?
>
> My first image I posted here was in the JPEG format but once I saw the
> difference between the JPEG and PNG files of the same image I was rather
> easily converted.  To be honest not only am I new to POV-Ray but I'm new
> some of these image formats as well.  I wasn't aware of much aside from
BMP,
> GIF, and JPG a little over a month ago.  I'm toying with the idea of
making
> a few animations but I know even less about all the formats they are saved
> in.  I'm sure I'll learn.

PNG or JPEG are both fine; the crusial thing is how big the file is.
Actually you're isn't all that huge, and actually I was kidding. It depends
on the image; some look fine in JPEG, some look aweful! (And yes, PNG is
*very* good stuff!)