POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 24 Jan 2004 19:38:47
Message: <40131016@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
>>>and they
>>>do some really strange things - using 16 bit values for the image for
>>>example is understandable for memory size reasons but this makes it
>>>essentially incompatible to other patches (HDR output, post processing).
>>>
>> Ah, you are right. In case there are other patches or parts of the code
>> which need the complete image in memory, [...]
>
> No, this is not about keeping the whole image, it is about keeping the
> unclipped full precision color values.

...probably including transparency and filter which sums up to 20 bytes
per pixel which may get a problem when storing the whole image.

So, my idea would be a class which can save the complete image at
different resolutions: 8bit, 16bit, full float. If there are several
code parts in need of such a storage, the one with the highest resolution
demand will set the internally used format.
The interface would use COLOUR, but the internal data representation
would allow different formats to save memory.

(And I am not only talking about it, I would also consider writing
such a class if it is needed.)

Wolfgang