POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:34:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 24 Jan 2004 17:35:06
Message: <4012f319@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> alternative would be to make the source code readable for everybody, which
> in turn would result in people make distributions based on that code,
> which is something they absolutely should not make.

Okay, the distribution problem is something I was not thinking about.
OTOH, if one distributes binary betas, why not source betas?

> If the next release, which will be 4.0 and is a rewrite, what point would
> there be in adding new minor patches to the official 3.x code base?

If 4.0 is supposed to come in several years, then "time" could be a
reason.

And as 4.0 will probably use the same numeric maths, fixing that would
IMO make sense even if minor.

> Indeed, it takes so long because quality software development takes long.
> That way we don't need to release hot fixes every other day like many
> other
> companies and projects do.  And users don't have to hunt down the latest
> and greatest version every other day either.

No non-trivial software is completely bug-free.

So, if one waits with releases until there are really no bugs left,
one will never release it.
OTOH, if one includes patches and releases without testing, there will
be tons of bugs.

This is nothing new.

But given that problem the solution is to find a way between the two
extrema. Where the cut is to be placed depends on one's opinion.

As for me personally and considering POVRay, I'd actually prefer some
more features (now) even if they come with some more bugs. Because I
belong to those people who (potentially) fix those bugs they find.

So, I benifit from the features. And when I find a bug, oh well, then
time needs to be spent on that but _somebody_ would have to do just that
anyways sooner or later.

> Why?  It is much easier to track down a bug if the source code does not
> change while you are tracking it down, so it is irrelevant if you have the
> most recent source code and can't update it or you have the release source
> code of the last official version and can't update it until you have found
> the bug.

...as long as I do not spend 10 hours tracking something down which
has already be fixed by someone else!

> You make the typical mistake all these "open source" proponents do, in
> assuming
> that everybody who uses a program is also able to fix it.

Yes, but it is enough if _one_ such person exists.
And what is the use of fubar code nobody wants to care about?
It's like cancer...

Wolfgang