POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:11:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 24 Jan 2004 17:13:08
Message: <4012edf3@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Hmm... What would you suggest should be done differently?
>
> I'd suggest to implement it like the other render techniques are
> implemented (Start_Adaptive_Tracing() and Start_Non_Adaptive_Tracing()).

I wrote a class PRTImageData holding the image for PRT.

Then there is PRTTileHeap which implements a heap of rectangular
tiles to be rendered.

I consider the introduction of these two classes as good design.

And then there is PRTRenderer. It may be better design to get rid
of this class especially because I am unhappy with the static
self-reference to the one existing instance. This would, most likely
require a further global variable (pointer).

If you think that I should re-implement PRTRenderer's functionality
using plain C and use PRTImageData and PRTTileHeap for their
purposes, I will very likely consider doing that.

> And if you want to have a chance that someone else implements the
> frontend for the other platforms you seriously need a documentation of
> the interface between the core code and the platform specific part.  It
> might be a good idea to completely leave out the interactive part so you
> just need POV_DISPLAY_UPDATE_RECT and nothing more.

I will not get rid of the interactive part because that is the more
useful part for me. If you think that non-interactive PRT should be
included into megapov, removing that functionality for doing so would
be easy.

Wolfgang