POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:00:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 Jan 2004 16:43:50
Message: <4012e716@news.povray.org>
In article <4012dca5@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> And about POV and C++, I'm a bit puzzled when reading the rest of the
> code, especially the image IO. It seemed to me that decision was taken
> to C++ify the C code for 3.5 and above ending up in a lot of C in cpp
> files with a little bit of C++. I'm not having a very good feeling when
> it comes to that.

Why?  C++ is just a superset of C (well, with a few very minor exceptions).
So features that are in a need for a rewrite get rewritten using some C++
features.  However, that does not imply there should be a wild mix of
designs.  If a particular section of code uses a C++ features (in particular
is put in a class), then every similar module should also do so.  So, just
don't create a mess.  Either go all the way or don't go it at all.  To only
do something because it seems convenient without any direct benefit isn't
the idea behind the code structure and allowing the use of C++ features.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde