POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:48:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 24 Jan 2004 12:19:13
Message: <4012a910@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

>> Basically, the patch allows you to select a rectangular region of
>> an image_map so that only this part is read in and stored in RAM.
>> Pixels outside this region are all considered 50% gray (some other
>> solution like quick_color could also be thought of).
>
> Pixels outside that region should probably be fully transparent, to be
> consistent with the "once" option.

I would prefer the pixels to be of configurable color...

> And why not read in the region as the
> entire image, filling the entire area of the image_map? Simpler, and
> avoids the above problem completely.

I do not completely understand what you plan there but it seems to me
that this requires the used to do additional scaling and
rotation/translation of the texture (which may not be trivial for
some projections).
Furthermore, for my current personal use, the 50% gray is a "feature"
(sea level on Mars).

Wolfgang