POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 24 Jan 2004 10:39:29
Message: <401291b0@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
>> While working on a partial image reading patch, I came accross the
>> following bug in POVRay:
>
> You'd probably save some time if you wait until 3.6 is out because
> otherwise you would need to rewrite the code (image reading/writing has
> not changed much but some changes require modifications at a lot of
> places in the code).

Well, I really see your point but I am actually very tired of _waiting_.
If anybody out there is waiting for the POVRay team to do just the smallest
thing, he'd better invest in finding the fountain of youth ;)

BTW, what about including this patch into POVRay-3.6?
Basically, the patch allows you to select a rectangular region of
an image_map so that only this part is read in and stored in RAM.
Pixels outside this region are all considered 50% gray (some other
solution like quick_color could also be thought of).

Of course, inclusion only makes sense if there are more people
interested in it. I am currently using it to render MARS images,
because I cannot fit all the 2.4 Gb topo & color into RAM.

> Just in case this is not clear to everyone - this is not a memory leak,
> it is just POV-Ray temporarily allocates more memory than it needs.

Correct.

>> I hope I can have a look at POVRay's next beta version (linux source
>> code) real soon.
>
> As usual source will not be available during beta.

It may or may not make sense to publish source code of beta versions.
But as I am sombody who actually works with the code, has already found
several bugs, suggested fixes for most of them and is actively writing
patches for POVRay, it may make sense to let me join the group of people
who may view the current development code.

Regards,
Wolfgang