POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : [Wings Q] 2 small .jpgs... : Re: [Wings Q] 2 small .jpgs... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Wings Q] 2 small .jpgs...
From: St
Date: 21 Jan 2004 17:42:36
Message: <400f005c@news.povray.org>
"Jamie Davison" <jam### [at] dslpipexcom> wrote in message
> In article <400dfd00@news.povray.org>, dot### [at] dotcom says...
> >  Ok, so thanks to Jim Charter, I've managed to get somewhere with
my
> > lock-knife using Wings. It's not perfect as I can see some edges
that
> > I've missed on the blade and the lower brass component, and the
wood
> > piece. The texturing needs attention too. With Wings, I think it's
> > matter of keeping it simple and finding the right procedure.
>
> I find that true with most modelling.  Ignoring fancy shiny new
features
> in favour or the most old fashioned but efficient method you can
think
> of has got me out of many a problem.

   Lots of shiny stuff in Wings though - have you tried it yet Jamie?

  I think Wings 3d is made and geared-up for producing very complex
modeling - you just have to learn the simple commands (menus or hot
keys) first. Things can happen fast in Wings, and you can find
yourself backtracking and using 'undo' a lot, which isn't a bad thing.

> The brass texture looks closer to copper/gold, and you might want to
> drop the ambient value on it a bit.

  Yes, it was Gold_2A with the ambient dropped a fair bit already.
I've tried the brass textures and for some reason, I can't get it
right with those.

> On a side not, I've looked at modelling one of my knives a few
times,
> but been scared off by all the curves.
>
> It's one of these :
> http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/225/223
>
> Got it about twelve years ago and used it for field work, sample
> collection and crude dissection during my degree.

  That's nice. Mine was for fishing and was a gift for my eighteenth
birthday, which was ..err... twenty-two years ago. Sugar.  :(

> Still has the nigh on razor edge I put on it about nine years ago
when I
> put it away.

   After doing 'what' with it, Jamie?   ;)

    ~Steve~