POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Ga : Re: Ga Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:58:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ga
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Jan 2004 08:41:43
Message: <40093b97$1@news.povray.org>
In article <arbi00t3asdfc5hljm3vvl8b0b7kne4k3j@4ax.com> , Peter Popov
<pet### [at] vipbg>  wrote:

>>The POV-Team uses Perforce, a commercial source code management system.
>>...Another very popular example is the Linux kernel, whose source
>>code is managed with the commercial source code management system BitKeeper
>>rather than CVS.
>
> What do you think, how does Perforce compare to BitKeeper for medium-
> to large-sized commercial projects feature-, useability- and
> price-wise? IOW, if the Team were offered donated copies of BitKeeper
> as well as Perforce, which one would you choose? :)

I can only speak for myself...

I would choose Perforce over BitKeeper because of the way BitMover
(BitMover, Inc. is the company behind BitKeeper) has a website with a lot of
FUD and there is no transparent pricing information at all either.  In
general, I am very skeptical of companies engaging in such pricing and
information practices and if there is another choice I will avoid them if
possible at all.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde