POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects : Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:39:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects
From: Ken
Date: 15 Jan 2004 00:14:54
Message: <4006229C.572F22AE@pacbell.net>
George Pantazopoulos wrote:

> I agree. Just because a patch does not appreciably speed up benchmark.pov
> does not mean that the patch isn't worthwhile. Why is benchmark.pov
> arbitrarily declared to be the ideal or typical POV-Ray scene, anyway?
> With so many possibilities of doing things in POV-Ray, is there even such
> a thing as "the typical scene" ?

Benchmark.pov was not "arbitrarily declared" a typical scene. It was carefully
designed to test a wide variety of feature sets present in the program and to
pose as a reasonable challenge to modern computing architectures. There is no
way a single scene is going to create a high level performance test for every
feature the program offers and even if you could it would take forever to
render. Instead we decided to craft a scene with a balanced set of features
that could reasonably be expected to test both the performance of the program
and the computers it is operated on while at the same time maintaining an
acceptable rending time. To date the developers have used it extensively for
fine tuning the performance of the program both internally and at compile
time and if it does nothing else it has performed beyond expectations for
accomplishing that.

--
Ken Tyler