POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : primate test 1 : Re: primate test 1 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: primate test 1
From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 Jan 2004 22:04:24
Message: <40060338$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:

> Amazing work, Jim!  This is breath-taking, in my opinion.

Thanks Jeremy

> I would like to hear more elaboration on how you did the hair, and how CPU
> and memory intensive it was, etc., if you wouldn't mind.

Yeah I know you have been attacking the hair problem too. That's partly
why I posted this example.  Give me a day or two and I'll put something
together.  I am actually working with a new way to do the hair which
looks quite promising but is buggy at the moment.  Then maybe I can show
you both methods.  I was using mesh, but not instancing, and that render
took around 40 min I think with Jaime's lighting which includes radiosity.

I never could have done it before I fixed the case fan which seems to
have solved my overheating problems.  I am beginning to think that while
my processor was heating up, so was everything else and it may be the
video card that was actually flaking out.  That might explain why it
seems to be heat related, even though I was only taking the palomino up
to 60 degrees before crashing.

I have half a gig of memory installed and no where near all of it gets
used.  But that guy going to need a lot more hair before he's finished.