POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some cufflinks... (wip, 93kb's) : Re: Some cufflinks... (wip, 93kb's) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some cufflinks... (wip, 93kb's)
From: St
Date: 14 Jan 2004 13:57:56
Message: <40059134@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
>

> > be able to 'see' those beads (or the PoV 'P') above it. They would
be
> > blocked by the underside of the cufflink in the reflection. The
true
> > reflection would just be the back of the cufflink, right?
> >

> Only if you were actually viewing it from behind I think.

  I see the palm of my hand in a mirror, I don't see the back of my
hand...?

> > I think I see your point - it looks as though something is missing
> > in that reflection on the right-hand cufflink? I wanted to move
that

> There is nothing actually wrong with it, it's just that the whole
> spacial relation is a little hard to reconcile.

   Now I know what you mean after studying it more. That cufflink on
the right looks as though it shouldn't be reflecting a bit of the left
one. I think it's my camera settings:

  location  <0, 2.33, -2.55>
  look_at   <0.35, .7,  0.2>

> > right-hand cufflink further back, so that a lot of the left-hand
> > cufflink was reflecting more in the right-hand one, but the
> > translating of that right-hand PoV 'P' was an agonising task, and
> > just left it that for now.
> >

> You mean you didn't build the objects first, then position them?

    I built the cufflinks first, then added the Pov P to both
seperately. I know I should have used 'union' in there somewhere, but
I'm not used to that yet.

> > Never tell your wife that that is how you spent the day!
> >

> >  LOL!
>
> Not that you needed me to tell you that I'm sure, but can you
imagine?
> The *luckiest* possible outcome would be that she would roar
laughing
> and only for about six months or so.
>

> >    Well, I'm the same, but you may not spot it as it's a jewellery
> > thing,
>
> Question for a jeweller.  Do you sell many cuff links?

   A fair few, probably around 20-30 pairs a year in gold. The problem
with cufflinks is that most men want a particular style, i.e. if
they're fanatical football followers, then they want something with
their teams name on it, or if F1 fans, then a miniature Ferrari, or
artists, a paintbrush and pallette.  ;)

     Steve