POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : primate test 1 : Re: primate test 1 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:28:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: primate test 1
From: Jim Charter
Date: 13 Jan 2004 23:12:44
Message: <4004c1bc$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> Okay, perhaps I wrongly assumed "silverback" meant "old monkey."
>
> But the hair doesn't look like that on an old monkey.  Perhaps it needs
> specular.

Now that I have a book to look at, the hair seems to vary a lot, even
between individuals in a species.  The source photo I was using did seem
to show pretty scraggy hair, which I took to mean "old" also.  Other
chimps have more tuffed hair, in others its softer, more aligned in
waves.  None look quite as wiry as in my picture though.

I was trying to get a wavy effect by distorting the hairs based on a
smooth pattern like bozo.  But it didn't work as expected.  I think I
may be amplifying the distortion to much.  Indeed, I added reflection,
but left the specular at default, it was late.

I adopted your three-sided, segmented mesh technique to build the hair.
  But I based each hair individually on a spline.  This alllows me to
start with a specific root point, and a spedific end point.  Some
splines just behave in a wacky way though.  That is the main reason that
the segmenting sometimes shows.  Hopefully on my next pass I can improve
all this.  It's a slow process because I try to move forward on each
problem in turn. Refine the modelling.  Then the uv texture mapping,
then the hair generation, then the lighting vs finish, then the eyes,
etc.  I am also hoping to integrate your hair macros in the process also.

-Jim