POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some cufflinks... (wip, 93kb's) : Re: Some cufflinks... (wip, 93kb's) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some cufflinks... (wip, 93kb's)
From: St
Date: 13 Jan 2004 21:20:54
Message: <4004a786@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
>
> > Reflection in the table: Why can you see the reflection of the
silver
> > beads in the table surface? In reality, this wouldn't happen. Is
there
> > a PoV answer to this, pov-people?
>
> Not sure why it wouldn't happen.  Is this the blurred reflection
issue?
> You've seen the use of varieted "micro normals" technique to
accomplish
> blurred reflection, right?  Published by Jaime Vives Piqueres, Ron
> Parker, and others.  Or is it something else?

     No, not the blurred reflection issue - I think(?)  Simply put, if
something is at an angle, like the left-hand cufflink, maybe 37-40
degrees, then the reflecting horizontal plane (of whatever), shouldn't
be able to 'see' those beads (or the PoV 'P') above it. They would be
blocked by the underside of the cufflink in the reflection. The true
reflection would just be the back of the cufflink, right?

> What seems more inconsistent to me is the reflection of the back of
one
> cufflink in the other.

    I think I see your point - it looks as though something is missing
in that reflection on the right-hand cufflink? I wanted to move that
right-hand cufflink further back, so that a lot of the left-hand
cufflink was reflecting more in the right-hand one, but the
translating of that right-hand PoV 'P' was an agonising task, and I
just left it that for now.

> > I used Runes logo.inc for this, (thanks Rune), and translating was
> > hell for sure - it took me the whole of today to get this far.
>
> You mean the constant micro adjustments and rerendering to test.
Never
> tell your wife that that is how you spent the day!

 LOL! Thanks Jim, you should see my face now - ear to ear!  Made my
day!  :o)

> > (Prize: three frozen mackerel for the person that spots the
translate
> > problem between the two cufflinks - soon to be fixed!)
> >

> Nope, can't spot it.
> I always do the worst on those types of tests.
> "The car lacks one headlight", "The woman has no nose", etc.

   Well, I'm the same, but you may not spot it as it's a jewellery
thing, not a PoV thing,  but keep looking!  ;)

   Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

     Steve