POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k) : Re: Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:31:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k)
From: Tek
Date: 13 Jan 2004 11:07:54
Message: <400417da$1@news.povray.org>
> Because they're too small to be accurately represented in the final image
> resolution. Just because they're intense doesn't mean they should become a
> full pixel in size. This could end up producing different results depending
> on what the final resolution is.

But what about if you take a photo of the night sky? The stars are much smaller
than 1 pixel, however they show up because of their intensity.

The colour of a pixel should be the average colour across the area of that
pixel, so if you have a star that's 1/2000th the area of the pixel and has
intensity 1000, then the pixel should have a colour of rgb 0.5. This happens in
a camera because it takes theoretically infinite samples (i.e. all the photons
hitting that pixel contribute to the brightness).

I believe that's the effect Bob was trying to simulate.

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com