POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : CG book by "Beijing Zito Books Co" -- what's this? : Re: CG book by "Beijing Zito Books Co" -- what's this? Server Time
17 May 2024 07:43:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CG book by "Beijing Zito Books Co" -- what's this?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 13 Jan 2004 08:19:43
Message: <4003f06f$1@news.povray.org>

news:web.3fffd7463b35bd0fa9247a30@news.povray.org...

> Since the only CG images I created were submitted to IRTC, I think they
> contacted somebody else which joined this competition (maybe all the
> participants?).  Is it so?  And if it is, what do you think about?

These people sent the same message to a lot of people some months ago (some
of us even received it several times) and they apparently swept throught the
IRTC addresses. This was discussed on povray.off-topic, but this thread is
gone unfortunately. Perhaps you should repost your message on this group, as
people who discussed the issue previously could share some of their ideas. I
also guess that some people did send images to the publisher.

The outcome of the discussion, IIRC, was the following :
- This seems to be a legit publisher, and they seem to try to do things
properly. China has signed the Berne convention on copyright in 1992, so
there's a legal background. Book piracy is rife in China though (from what
I've heard from people who went there) but of course this is not the
publishers' fault.

they have also their own "Digital beauties" book (called "Virtual beauties"
here), which is borderline plagiarism.
- Their email sending seems a little too broad and not very discriminate. If
they really want the best artists/pictures, they should go for a more
personal approach IMHO.
- Whatever your decision is, make sure that you have a bona fide paper
contract that covers as much ground as possible.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com