POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : 3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media : Re: 3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media
From: Hughes, B
Date: 6 Jan 2004 19:33:56
Message: <3ffb53f4@news.povray.org>
"Khalid Hanna" <kha### [at] rogerscom> wrote in message
> Hi Bob,
> The file you supplied is Ok, but (there is always a but...) the spotlight
> has a conic section and it discontinues shinig at a certain distance into
> the scene (when I remove the Room box). I want to generate a light house
> effect without having the dark misrable end of the cone to appear. I tried
> many things but no luck.

This might necessitate using a media container. Testing for a way to let the
spotlight fade out correctly I could only do so by using the following in
the light source, and doing so within a much larger box (or sphere).

  fade_distance 10 // these values could vary, of course
  fade_power 2

I'm not able to prevent the cutting off (or oversaturating) of the end-cone
by adjusting samples higher (I went to 1000), adding more intervals
manually, changing ratio, confidence, variance, or even method type.

This is a typical difficulty when using global media. That is to say,
getting it to look right because it continues outward infinitely. There
might still be another answer, but I don't know of it.

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com