POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : 3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media : Re: 3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media
From: Hughes, B
Date: 6 Jan 2004 16:02:05
Message: <3ffb224d$1@news.povray.org>
"Khalid Hanna" <kha### [at] rogerscom> wrote in message
> This much better. It looks very useful.
> The lights interact nicely with the atmosphere.

Glad to hear it is better.

Everyone who compares 3.0 with 3.5, watch out for assumed_gamma global
setting. Most scenes created for version 3.0 (Windows) used a value of 2.2,
whereas 1.0 is more likely today in version 3.5.

If there were a purely numerical conversion of atmosphere (and halo) to
media this could be more exacting. For example, atmosphere 'distance' can't
be replaced solely with just media 'density'. I don't believe so anyhow. It
would likely need a spherical pattern centered on the camera and have a
fall-off, like that of fog, encompassing the realm as necessary (distance +
100% saturation = sphere boundary). All conjecture though, until tried.

Bob H.