POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : 3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media : 3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  3.0 atmosphere converted to 3.5 media
From: Hughes, B
Date: 6 Jan 2004 00:42:24
Message: <3ffa4ac0@news.povray.org>
I've redone the scene file found in POV-Ray\SCENES\ATMOS\atmo4.pov now that
I dug out the old 3.02 version and used it to compare it with 3.5 media. I
think I got it pretty close. You should be able to copy the atmosphere
declarations to another scene file and get similar renders to the old
'atmosphere' feature.

What I'm unsure of, is, how will it behave without a room to contain it? And
will there be artifacts due to differences in sampling, intervals and
whatever else. In other words, I only tweaked values until it looked okay.
Most notably is the lack of a 'distance' parameter for media, so I'm
guessing density might help with that. What is obvious in my edited scene
file is that I had to use low extinction values. I wished I didn't need to,
since that is always said to be a kind of artificial adjustment.

Oh yeah, I added the type 5 Henyey-Greenstein scattering into the file since
that was available in v3.02, yet wasn't inlcuded in the original atmo4.pov
example. Also, please keep the word "approximation" in mind.  ;-)

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Atmo35convert30_atmo4.pov.txt' (7 KB)