POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Merry christmas [70k] : Re: Merry christmas [70k] Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merry christmas [70k]
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Dec 2003 04:49:47
Message: <3feff8bb@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> The snow is indeed the weak point - i played with the idea of a
> subsurface scattering version but this scene is not fast enough and the
> geometry is not that good to show the scattering anyway.

   Well, SSS will have made it a christmas card for next year... :)

> The problem i have with the skylight macro is that it does not offer
> much control over the colors.  I used a different light color for the
> sky than for the light source to have more freedom in that part.

   By "not much control" you mean really "no control at all", isn't? I
think this is a "feature", the main feature for a sky model, IMHO: I
don't have to think on the colors. Of course, you can always ignore
SunColor and use whatever you want for a concrete artistic effect. I
tried for example using a blackbody between 2000 and 6500 K, depending
on the altitude, and it also works nicely.

> Another thing is of course that the use of a mesh for the sky is
> certainly not the best solution - although it is of course the only
> viable one with standard POV. A feature to have image_maps based on an
> internal array (or an ascii hdr file format) would be useful for this.

   Yes, the mesh is a bit slow to generate when you need great detail on
the sky, to avoid seing the triangles. I hope Phillipe will have the
time this year to add the save/load feature for the mesh.

   Regards..

--
Jaime