POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : eyes : Re: I know....... [Re: eyes] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I know....... [Re: eyes]
From: Tim Cook
Date: 26 Dec 2003 16:07:26
Message: <3feca30e$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> The problem is that using media sss on an mesh having an internal structure
> often gives ugly results due to the shadows cast by these structures. The
> face of a Poser model such as this one contains a lot of these structures
> (nose, eyes, mouth), so the sss only works OK on the simpler body parts and
> only when they have enough polys (which caused me a lot of trouble for the
> ISS image last year) :(

Indeed.  Plus, using media sss does some...interesting things with
the eyelashes and eyebrows, causing bothersome artifacts with
transparency areas.  If there were some way to not export the mouth
inner parts in Poser, I'd do it, but there isn't, and I don't feel
like doing mesh-diving to physically excise the appropriate data from
the converted include file.

(By the way, Daz Studio alpha is out, and although it still uses a
proprietary interface [why can't they use regular Windows interface
components? it would use that much less of the computer's resources
in a program that needs all the oomph it can get] it is much more
streamlined than Poser's, and its material manager is better, too...
*shivers at the horror that is Poser 5's material setup*  Oh yeah...
you can select multiple materials at the same time to change this
or that property in DS.  I have NO idea why the skin is set up into
different zones, since if you give them different material properties
they'll end up with sharp divisions in 'em...should just be a texture
for the mesh for 'skin'. :P)

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean