POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects : Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:00:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Dec 2003 15:24:20
Message: <3fe20cf4$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3fe1f82f@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

>> In article <3fddcfb2@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>> Especially on Windos, but almost equally so on all others systems, there
>> are so many specific things, trying to abstract them is a true waste of
>> time
>> unless a *very* small subset of all available functionality is used.  In
>> short, it is much better to do one thing well than three or four things
>> badly.
>
> Have a look at Qt.

Which does an extremely miserable job!  In fact, Qt is just one of the worst
GUI abstraction layers that exist (I am sure that is why it is so popular!).
It does not abstract most of the GUI elements at all, it just draws them on
its own.  Apart from that, Qt is hardly a good example for use of C++.  Its
signal implementation is a perfect example.  As is is non-existent
thread-safety - even if a native API used is fully thread-safe, Qt in
general is not thread-safe.  And its OpenGL widget for Windows is full of
very obvious bugs (also this is only available with the expensive commercial
code license); even M$ sample code shows how to properly create a correct
Z-buffered contexts.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde