POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects : Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects Server Time
6 Oct 2024 20:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Dec 2003 19:52:37
Message: <3fdd05d5@news.povray.org>
In article <3fdcfad6@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> If exceptions are slower than normal return, that won't hurt much
> because they are meant to be used as "exceptions". So, for exceptions
> my critisism was the size overhead.
>
> And for RTTI: I cannot imagine that a dynamic_cast has real little
> overhead but I honestly hope that it is the case until I run a test
> in the next days.

Effectively you only need it when using multiple inheritance.  Of course, if
you depend on dynamic_cast heavily, you probably have some serious problem
understanding C++.

> Okay, my observations quoted above were based on my experiences on the
> gcc-2.7.3.2 -> gcc-2.8 transition and may very well be outdated.

One of the slowest known compilers around ... and outdated by half a decade.

> So, RTTI and exceptions still introduce considerable overhead even if
> not used.

Shitty compiler => shitty code!  You should really use professional
compilers to base your comparisons on.  Gcc's main feature is portability,
not performance.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde