POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mlPOV SSS (2 jpegs, 50kb total) : Re: mlPOV SSS (2 jpegs, 50kb total) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mlPOV SSS (2 jpegs, 50kb total)
From: Bill Hails
Date: 4 Dec 2003 18:32:33
Message: <3fcfc411@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge wrote:

> Hello everyone. I've got hills of ice.... or something loosely
> resembling ice.
>
> In one image no subsurface scattering is used. In the other image,
> lighting effects can be seen 'wrapping around' the hills.
>
> Ice_hill_not.jpg took 26 seconds to render.
> Ice_hillSSS.jpg took 9 minutes, 45 seconds to render.
>
> The SSS is a 'faked' version made in mlPOV and uses the projection
> pattern. Some artifacts can be seen if you look closely. For instance,
> at the bottom of the middle hill you can see horizontal lines caused by
> the ground plane, which is also included in the SSS evaluation. Also,
> lines following the contour of the tops of certain hills can be seen
> because of the low samples and high scattering values I used.
>
> The SSS takes both light_sources into account, thus simulating light
> scattering from both the sun and background sky.
>
> I should try this scene with media... or if somebody else wants to
> render it I can make the source code available.
>
> Q's, C's?

I hate to be critical, especially since I'm nowhere near your level,
but something about the SSS image says "small" to me, like the central
hummock is only a few centimeters across, like a dirty ice-cube.
At the risk of being wrong as usual, maybe the SSS
is a little overplayed?

Wonderful effect though.

--
Bill Hails