POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ball of rings : Re: snow Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: snow
From: Shay
Date: 2 Dec 2003 09:50:53
Message: <3fcca6cd$1@news.povray.org>
"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message

| You've never seen snow? I probably shouldn't take
| this literally.

I meant it literally. It has snowed a handful of times here, but it
melts as soon as it touches the ground.

| the project is interesting

I put something together last night. I guess it looked like a blob mesh
would on a little isosurface mauntain range I made. That is, it looked
like white, puffy grass. The parse was about half an hour, but the
render time is measured in minutes, not days. I took a look at Gilles
website and saw that he had noticed the same problem, that the algorithm
only produces good results in small patches on tree limbs and such. I
built the mesh so that it can be further refined (within the limits of
fp precision) so the with enough memory, an acceptable snow might be
made on a jagged enough mountain. I would guess that mountains don't get
snow-covered in one pass anyway, so it might be that this algorithm
would never produce realistic results on a large object.

| PS: we should probably continue the thread somewhere else.

I set followups to p.gen if you have any further comment.

 -Shay