POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ball of rings : Re: My bounding problem? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My bounding problem?
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 30 Nov 2003 12:49:52
Message: <3fca2dc0$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks,

> Splitting the blob components into several objects will usually not
> speed up the render but slow it down.

The blobs are meant to simulate snow. They are traced randomly to cover an
object. I thought that maybe automatic bounding wasn't very efficient when
so many blob components have random positions. This is only speculation -
but I thought, splitting them into a grid of 8*8 sections that does not
overlap each other, could help to eleminate tests for blobs that are far
away. Even if this doesn't speed up rendering, would it slow things down?

Regards,
Hugo