POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : POV-Ray 3.51 Build 0187 (RC3) Panther G5 benchmarks : Re: POV-Ray 3.51 Build 0187 (RC3) Panther G5 benchmarks Server Time
28 Apr 2024 14:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.51 Build 0187 (RC3) Panther G5 benchmarks
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Nov 2003 11:44:48
Message: <3fc62a00@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3fbd8fa02bef7d01cbec1f9c0@news.povray.org> , "Scott Gammans"
<deepgloathatesspamaatyahoodotcom> wrote:

> I am happy to report that it did fix the "Fast Functions" optimization.
> Oddly enough, though, the G5 rendering engine is no faster than the G4, and
> in fact it was significantly slower on the long benchmark (all times shown
> are in seconds, average of three runs, showing total
> parse/photon/render/total times):

Actually, when benchmarking, it is reasonable to consider everything below
ten percent as equal if you do only one run.  Only after three to four runs
(and reboots each time) you can be really sure that the average you get
reflects the true performance.

In any case, it is sad that there is no serious performance improvement when
following Apple's suggestions...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde